Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and cut in halves
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- all-purpose flour, for work surface
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- sanding sugar or demara sugar, for sprinkling
Prepared Pate Brisee
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup ice water
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line two baking sheets with Silpats (a French nonstick baking mat). In a medium bowl, add strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch; stir to combine, set aside.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll one half of dough into a large rectangle, about 1/8-inch-thick. Using a 5-inch cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds. Transfer rounds to prepared baking sheet.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture onto one-half of each round. Lightly brush egg around the edge of the covered half of each round. Fold remaining dough over to enclose, forming a half moon. Gently press edges together to seal. Brush the tops of each pie with egg. Using a paring knife, slash the top of each pie. Sprinkle generously with sanding sugar.
- Repeat this process with second half of dough and remaining filling on second baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer pies to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. Or let cool completely, and store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.