Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is based on a recipe from an inn on the coast of Maine. They serve it warm with butter or whipped cream, but it can also be served cold.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar (can use 2 packets splenda)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Chop strawberries, sprinkle with sugar, mix well, cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Grease and flour a 12x8x2 baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With electric beater, beat together oil, 1 cup sugar, salt and molasses.
- Beat in egg.
- In separate bowl combine flour, spices and baking soda.
- Drain strawberries if any liquid, dredge berries with 2 tablespoons of flour mixture.
- Add remaining flour mixture to first mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition.
- Stir in strawberries.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle top with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve warm with butter or whipped cream -- or serve later cold.
A nice combination of summer and winter!
This was so good! I love strawberries and I love gingerbread, so I knew I would love this! My kids loved this cake too. I served it with whip cream but it is so moist that it really doesn't need any topping. I have frozen some pieces for my kids to take as snacks for school and they are thrilled. thanks for sharing this, i'm glad I tried it.