Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I only do EASY baking and this is a family favorite. The recipe can be cut in half if desired - just use an 8x8 pan instead.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen sliced strawberries
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Drain the strawberries (thawed), reserving syrup. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs; beat well.
- Blend in sour cream.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add to the creamed mixture.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Spoon drained strawberries on top of batter.
- Combine walnuts, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/2 of the nut mixture on top of the strawberries.
- Spread remaining batter ofver all; sprinkle remaining nut mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and the reserved syrup; heat and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add lemon juice; cool.
- Serve over warm or cool cake.
I needed a small strawberry cake for my cousin's birthday, and this was one of the only ones I found that said it could be cut in half, so I decided to give it a try. The batter was thicker than any cake batter I've dealt with previously, but it turned out beautifully. I really had to work to spread it throughout the 8x8 pan. However, like I said, it turned out beautifully. The cake was delicious, and my cousin gave it RAVE reviews. Very easy to make, very tasty. Thanks so much!!