Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
A gorgeous and delicious angel food layer cake. You can make the angel food cake ahead of time, or buy a pre-made angel food cake. I clipped this from a magazine a long time ago. This is great in the summer time when you don't want to heat the oven.
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 inch) round angel food cake
- 3 tablespoons triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur) or 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped very firm with 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; cover and let stand 1 hour. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed of mixer til smooth.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers using a serrated knife; place bottom layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Brush with 1 tbsp liqueur (or orange juice), and spread half of cream cheese mixture over cake. Spoon one third of strawberries over cream cheese mixture using a slotted spoon. Repeat layers, ending with cake and liqueur (or orange juice). Spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Cover; chill 30 minutes.
- Arrange remaining strawberries on top of cake. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.
Great recipe! Easy and pretty, tastes so good you need seconds and thirds!! I have made it twice- what I did was put about 1/4 c. powdered sugar instead of granulated in with the whipping cream along with a tsp. of vanilla. I also put whipping cream (unwhipped) instead of the 3 tbs. regular milk in with the cream cheese, I also added 1 tsp. of vanilla to that. I didn't use the orange juice ingredient at all. The last thing I did was add fresh raspberries in with the fresh strawberries. I thought it would be soggy by morning and it wasn't, the cream cheese filling keeps the berry juices from sinking into the cake too much. Plus I didn't brush on the OJ either. Happy Summer everyone!
This is absolutely wonderful!!!! It is delicious and beautiful. I had to make my own angel food cake because it is the off season. I had never made one before and I managed to let it deflate some in the process of getting it out of the oven. Still it looked beautiful. I will definitely be making this again.Thank you for a wonderful recipe. Made for Photo Tag 07
I used an angelfood cake that I bought and this recipe couldn't have been easier to prepare. The presentation was beautiful and the flavor was scrumptious. I used orange juice instead of liqueur. Thanks for sharing the recipe!