A gorgeous and delicious angel food layer cake. You can make the angel food cake ahead of time, or buy a pre-made angel food cake. I clipped this from a magazine a long time ago. This is great in the summer time when you don't want to heat the oven.
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 inch) round angel food cake
- 3 tablespoons triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur) or 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped very firm with 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; cover and let stand 1 hour. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed of mixer til smooth.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers using a serrated knife; place bottom layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Brush with 1 tbsp liqueur (or orange juice), and spread half of cream cheese mixture over cake. Spoon one third of strawberries over cream cheese mixture using a slotted spoon. Repeat layers, ending with cake and liqueur (or orange juice). Spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Cover; chill 30 minutes.
- Arrange remaining strawberries on top of cake. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.