Recipe by PanNan
A gorgeous and delicious angel food layer cake. You can make the angel food cake ahead of time, or buy a pre-made angel food cake. I clipped this from a magazine a long time ago. This is great in the summer time when you don't want to heat the oven.
Top Review by genicarlson
Great recipe! Easy and pretty, tastes so good you need seconds and thirds!! I have made it twice- what I did was put about 1/4 c. powdered sugar instead of granulated in with the whipping cream along with a tsp. of vanilla. I also put whipping cream (unwhipped) instead of the 3 tbs. regular milk in with the cream cheese, I also added 1 tsp. of vanilla to that. I didn't use the orange juice ingredient at all. The last thing I did was add fresh raspberries in with the fresh strawberries. I thought it would be soggy by morning and it wasn't, the cream cheese filling keeps the berry juices from sinking into the cake too much. Plus I didn't brush on the OJ either. Happy Summer everyone!
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 inch) round angel food cake
- 3 tablespoons triple sec (orange-flavored liqueur) or 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped very firm with 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; cover and let stand 1 hour. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and cream cheese in a medium bowl; beat at medium speed of mixer til smooth.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers using a serrated knife; place bottom layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Brush with 1 tbsp liqueur (or orange juice), and spread half of cream cheese mixture over cake. Spoon one third of strawberries over cream cheese mixture using a slotted spoon. Repeat layers, ending with cake and liqueur (or orange juice). Spread whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Cover; chill 30 minutes.
- Arrange remaining strawberries on top of cake. Sprinkle with almonds, and serve.