1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A grilled sweet and sour chicken. A jar of strawberry-rhubarb jam can be substituted for the strawberries, rhubarb, water and sugar. Or you can use another type of jam with a similar result. Use 3/4 cup of jam and combine with the onions and mustard seeds and cook until the onions are soft, 25 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the glaze
- 1 stalk rhubarb, cut into 1/4 (about 2 ounces)
- 6 large strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the chicken and pineapple
- 1Prepare the glaze by combining rhubarb, strawberries, onion, sugar, mustard seeds, salt and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring to mix well. Once small bubbles begin to form along outer edge, cook an additional 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half. Puree in a blender until smooth, then add vinegar and combine. Divide glaze between 2 small bowls (one to glaze the chicken one for the pineapple slices).
- 2Boil scallions in lightly salted water until bright green, about 2 minutes; drain and set aside.
- 3Season chicken and pineapple with salt and pepper. If grilling outdoors prepare grill for direct and indirect cooking. If using indoor grill pan skip to next step. Place chicken and pineapple slices over direct heat; brush with glaze. Once pineapple have good grill marks, about 5 minutes, turn over and transfer to indirect cooking. After 10 to 13 minutes the chicken should have grill marks and can be turned over, still on the direct heat side. Once grill marks appear on the second side move to indirect heat to finish cooking. Brush pineapple and chicken with glaze occasionally throughout cooking. When pineapple and chicken pieces are done remove to a platter and keep warm. Use the space on the grill to grill scallions until slightly charred.
- 4If using a grill pan indoors, grill the pineapple first, about 5 minutes per side brushing with glaze occasionally. Next char the scallions slightly and set aside. Grill the chicken about 10 to 13 minutes per side, brushing with the glaze occasionally through out cooking. Juices should run clear when pricked with a fork.
- 5To serve, cut each slice of grilled pineapple in half and place a half-slice on each plate. Top with 2 grilled chicken thighs, 2 grilled scallions and the second pineapple half.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry and Rhubarb Glazed Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (517 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.6
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 323.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 60.8 g
- Protein 27.5 g