Recipe by evelyn/athens
These are too pretty to eat! Fortunately, they're also delicious! The phyllo baskets make for a whimsical presentation. The strawberries and lemon curd are natural partners.
Top Review by Grace Lynn
This is my first time making lemon curd and OMG, I love it! This recipe was so simple with such grand presentation. All my friends were impressed. Maybe the phyllo sheets are different in sizes in the USA and Greece, because I had to use 8 phyllo sheets to get 12 4-inch squares. This will definitely be on my "make again" list! Thank you, Evelyn!
- 4 phyllo pastry, thawed, covered with damp kitchen towel
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 6 teaspoons dry white breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 pint strawberry, hulled and sliced
- fresh mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- For baskets: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface.
- Brush with butter.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp bread crumbs over.
- Top with second phyllo sheet, butter and sprinkle with 2 tsp crumbs.
- Top with third phyllo sheet, butter and sprinkle with 2 tsp crumbs.
- End with fourth phyllo sheet and just butter this one.
- Cut out 12, 4-inch squares.
- Brush every other cup of 2, ½ cup muffin tins with melted butter.
- Place 1 phyllo square in each buttered cup, pressing down in center gently and around edges to mold (corners should stick up attractively – bend them slightly, but not all the way, back).
- Bake until just golden-brown and crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove and cool completely (can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container).
- For lemon curd: Whisk sugar, eggs, butter, lemon juice and peel over low heat until butter melts.
- Cook until mixture thickens to consistency of light whipped cream, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into bowl.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd and refrigerate until cold, about 4 hours (can be prepared up to 2 days ahead).
- Spoon some berries into bottom of each basket, sprinkle VERY lightly with sugar, top with 2 ½ tbsp of lemon curd.
- Arrange remaining berries in petal pattern on top of curd.
- Garnish with mint.