Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love the combination of apples and berries.You will need a top and bottom crust for this pie. I used my East Vegan Spelt Pie Crust Recipe 196863. http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Easy-Vegan-Spelt-Pie-Crust-196863
- 5 large granny smith apples (peeled, cored & sliced thinly)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries (hulled and sliced in 4 pieces)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot (flour)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- zest of one lemon
- 4 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- Preheat oven to 450ºF degrees.
- Mix together apples, brown sugar, white sugar, arrowroot flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest. When totally mixed add the sliced strawberries and mix carefully so not to break them in pieces.
- Place crust in bottom of pie plate. Fill with apple mix and dab with the 4 tablespoons vegan margarine. Cover with top crust. If you like, brush with 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Cut slits in the pie for steam to escape. If you like sprinkle with some additional sugar to make the crust crunchy and sweet.
- Bake at 450ºF for 10 minutes, then turn down to 350ºF and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Or until the juices bubble out of the pie.
- You may need to cover the edges of the pie to prevent it from burning. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve with some vanilla ice cream or top with whipped cream :).
- Bon Appetit!