Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I've been hanging on an old magazine recipe clipping for years. Finally, I made this recipe and, WOW, it's great. I used jumbo strawberries, but you can also use regular-size strawberries. Serve an appetizer or a dessert! The filling is not overly sweet, and you can add powdered sugar to taste if you want a sweeter cheese mixture. I've found that there's more than enough filling for 12 medium-large strawberries. If you don't have time to pipe the filling, you can serve it in a bowl as a dip.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped (I use a food processor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (I use Cointreau) or 1 tablespoon orange juice (I use Cointreau)
- 12 large strawberries, halved (leave green tops on or off)
- Combine mascarpone cheese, dried cranberries, orange zest, and liqueur in a bowl.
- Pipe the cheese mixture onto the strawberry halves using a pastry bag fitted with an open star tip. The tip should be large enough so the cranberry bits do no clog the tip.
- Chill then serve.
These are little bites of heaven! I made them for a dinner party with the cheese I had left over from my Tiramisu. I didn't add cranberries or orange zest, but I did put shaved chocolate on top! Wonderful!!!
This was the dessert I chose for the Father's Day meal and I'm happy I did! Simple, quick, beautiful presentation and very delicious! I used Nancy's cultured cream cheese, orange juice and the dried cranberries. A melon scoop was helpful in placing the cream cheese mixture on the strawberries. No additional sugar was added. Variations would be unlimited: pear brandy for the oj, for example. I thought about adding a drop or two or vanilla or almond extract or garnishing with finely chopped hazelnuts but in the end I made as written garnishing with orange zest. Thank for posting. I'm looking forward to preparing this dessert again!
excellent recipe; however, i added some vanilla sugar and chopped hazelnuts to the mixture. i then refrigerated the strawberries and piped them with milk chocolate for a bit more flavor as well as presentation.