Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
According to legend, the French believed strawberries were an aphrodisiac and always served newlyweds these magical berries. What, then, could be more delicious for a romantic occasion? In this recipe, fresh ripe strawberries team beautifully with butterscotch sauce and a hint of orange.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Hull strawberries, and if large, slice in half.
- Melt butter in a medium sized pan, add brown sugar and cook until sugar is just starting to melt.
- Add the orange juice and rind, and cook stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the cream.
- Add the strawberries and warm through gently.
- (Take care not to overheat strawberries as they can otherwise become acidic in taste.) Warm brandy separately, light, and pour over strawberries.
- Serve over vanilla icecream or crepes.
Excellant! Fresh strawberries in an enchanting butterscotch cream sauce flavored with orange and brandy. I made the recipe as directed with heavy cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons of orange rind, sliced strawberries and served it over vanilla ice cream. Quick, easy, and sensational, a real treasure.
This tasted just like a Creamsicle! lol I didn't do the flame thing technique with the brandy. I merely stirred it into the mixture. Used as a topping for Vanilla Crepe Batter. Reviewed for ZWT 2009.
I made this as directed for our valentine's day meal and served over ice cream. My husband and I liked it but thought there were too many flavors..when the sauce melted into the ice cream it tasted like a dreamsicle (which isn't a bad thing) but then the strawberries were tart and the sauce was a little greasy...Don't know maybe just us but if I made it again I would either leave off the strawberries or the oranges and reduce the butter.