Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This Italian dish is a savory cross between an omelet and bread pudding. It is terrific to serve for breakfast, brunch, or lunch-as well as dinner. From Everyday Food. Can be made up to 24-hours ahead.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage. Add onion; cook, stirring until soft. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Transfer to a plate; let cool until barely warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper.
- Arrange half the bread in a slightly overlapping layer in the bottom of a buttered 8x8 dish.
- Scatter half the sausage mixture and then half the cheese over the bread. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese, pressing firmly into the dish. Pour egg mixture over layers.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to overnight. Bake uncovered in a preheated oven at 350* until puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-50 minutes.