Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
This breakfast casserole gets a flavor boost from cipollini onions, an Italian variety that is exceptionally sweet. The strata needs to be refrigerated for at least 1 hour before baking, so plan accordingly.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces arugula
- 8 ounces cipollini onions, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 3 ounces asiago cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 ounces French bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and dried overnight or toasted in oven
Directions See How It's Made
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Add the arugula and sauté until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in a colander.
- In the same sauté pan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the onions and sauté until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half-and-half, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in the bread, arugula and onions. Transfer to a braiser, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat an oven to 350ºF.
- Uncover the strata and transfer to the oven. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.