Recipe by French Tart
A delectable, quick & very easy recipe to perk up cabbage! Stir frying the cabbage keeps it crisp & crunchy as well as keeping it's vibrant green colour. I devised this recipe to accompany fairly rich foods, but without having to boil the cabbage to oblivion! Even people who say they are not fond of cabbage love this recipe. I have added the Confit D'Oignon (Onion Marmalade) to give it an extra kick - plus, they go so well together too! If you don't need the cabbage to be vegetarian, you could also add crisply fried lardons or bacon to this - it tastes & smells wonderful! Here is my recipe for Confit D' Oignon - French Onion Marmalade
- 1 fresh savoy cabbage, washed & trimmed
- 29.58 ml onions, confit or 29.58 ml onion marmalade
- 28.34 g butter
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and trim the cabbage, removing the very tough centre heart if necessary.
- Separate the leaves, and shred very finely.
- In a wok or pan, heat up the butter over a high heat, until just melting & bubbling - add the cabbage and stir around thoroughly.
- Lower the heat a bit, and place a lid on the wok/pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, add the Confit d'Oignon and stir well. Keep stirring for about 2-3 minutes, until eveything is well mixed and the cabbage is just starting to wilt slightly - BUT still retains it's colour & crunch.
- Take off the heat, season well with ground black pepper & serve immediately.
- Fry some lardons or bacon in the wok/pan until crispy, drain off the excess fat and then add the cabbage and confit d'oignon as above. Butter is not needed for this method.