Recipe by horseplay
This is from HeartSmart Chinese Cooking, by Steven Wong. Every single recipe in this book is delicious, and since I can't post them all, you should just buy it. The recipes are great because they taste authentically Asian, but are a lot lower in fat and salt than a lot of traditional recipes. Prep time includes marinating time. Can be served over rice, but I find it's a filling meal in itself.
Top Review by TXOLDHAM
This was delicious and going to be repeated. The only suggestion I would make is to double or even triple the sauce. I also used about half of a red onion sliced thinly vertically as I didn't have a shallot and I think I would do that again. I also added a little dry sherry to the marinade. Even though I made a few changes I still felt this recipe deserved the 5 stars. I will be moving this to my "Tried and True" folder. PS I did buy the book, used, online - looks like there are quite a few wonderful recipes.
Chicken and Marinade
- 1⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2 large mangoes, peeled,pitted,thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecan halves
- 2 sprigs cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Put the raw chicken in and let it sit for half an hour.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in another bowl and put aside.
- Break off the star arms of the anise and throw away the middle.
- Carefully press between your fingers until you hear a crack.
- In a non-stick frying pan or a wok, heat the oil and the star anise on high heat.
- Put in the chicken and stir-fry for about 4 or 5 minutes, until the chicken is opaque.
- Put in the pepper slices, ginger, garlic and shallots and stir-fry for another minute.
- Put in the sauce ingredients and stir to mix until it thickens a bit.
- It should take about another minute.
- Add the mango slices and mix gently until they're warmed through.
- Garnish with the pecans and cilantro and serve immediately.