Recipe by SusieQusie
Incredibly rich and gooey, this pie is a real treat. The short dough is simple to make and the filling has a wonderful fudgy taste and texture. Note: Times for the dough to chill are NOT included in prep time
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup corn syrup or 2⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup pecan halves
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dough: Preheat oven to 350ºF and butter a 9-inch tart pan or round baking dish.
- Put the flour, salt, sugar and butter in the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- With machine running, add egg yolk and water through the feed tube. Pulse until the dough comes together. (If crumbs are dry, add a teaspoon or so more water.). Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap, wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- After dough is chilled, dust a flat surface with a little flour & using a rolling pin, roll into a large circle, 2 inches larger than your baking pan. Ease dough into prepared pan & liberally prick surface with a fork.
- Chill again for 15 minutes. After chilling, line crust with a sheet of parchment paper then fill with dried beans.
- Blind bake for 12 minutes, remove paper and beans then bake another 10 minutes or until lightly golden and just firm. Remove from oven.
- Make the filling: Put the butter, sugar and corn syrup into a bowl and mix with a spoon or electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla extract. Stir in the melted chocolate followed by the pecans.
- Pour filling into crust and bake for 35 minutes or until just firm to touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool - the filling will sink slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.