Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another of those recipes I've learned since moving South.
- 1⁄2 cup diced salt pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb fresh okra, trimmed
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 cup water
- Heat 1 cup water to boiling, and add salt pork and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove salt pork from the pan and discard water. Cook and stir salt pork over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove salt pork and set aside.
- Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of drippings. Add the onion, green pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir vegetables over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the okra and continue to cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add reserved salt pork, tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, hot pepper sauce and water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.