Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is what we Brits call a 'nursery pudding' - a stick-to-your-ribs pudding with the warmth of ginger and a lovely sticky sauce. A real winter warmer!
For the sponge pudding
- 6 ounces unsalted butter, soft
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 6 ounces condensed milk
- 8 ounces self-raising flour
- 3 ounces stem ginger in syrup, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
For the sauce
- 4 ounces icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 7 fluid ounces water
- 2 tablespoons stem ginger syrup
- 2 tablespoons shredless marmalade
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- Preheat oven to 350f/Gas Mark 4.
- Place all the sponge pudding ingredients EXCEPT the stem ginger in a bowl and whisk till smooth and pale.
- Fold in the chopped stem ginger and pour mixture into a 2 1/2 pint ovenproof pudding bowl, then place the bowl in a roasting tray and fill with boiling water until 2/3 up the side of the pudding bowl. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients EXCEPT the orange zest in a pan and boil for 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and is slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest.
- Remove pudding from oven, cut into slices and serve hot with the orange syrup poured over.