Prep 1 min
Cook 2 hrs
Sicilian Spaghetti Meatballs recipe, a little unconventinal.
- 500 ml tomato puree
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled
- 70 ml tomato paste
- italian red wine
- olive oil
- 125 g bufala mozzarella cheese
- 1 1⁄2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- garlic powder
- 1 kg minced beef
- lemon juice
- red pepper flakes
- Mix the meat with with the herbs, a clove of garlic, 1/2 an onion, a little bit of wine and lemon juice. Turn it into golfball-sized meatballs.
- You can either bake the meatballs until they're a little brown but still soft, or put them in the refridgerator untill you need them again.
- Put olive oil in a large pan, till the bottom is entirely covered. Add the remaning garlic and the onion. Fry untill there are bubbles around the garlic.
- Next add 100 ml of water and the plum tomatoes in the pan, and stir them gently into the sauce untill they're broke. Let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then you add the tomato paste en 70 ml of water, along with pepper and salt, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 1 teaspoon of basil and 1 teaspoon of parsley. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, stir every minute.
- Now you need to insert the tomato puree into the sauce, along with 1/4 cup of the red wine, 2 teaspoons of oregano, 1 teaspoon basil a liitle bit of red pepper flakes, not too much!, and 2 teaspoons parsley. Let simmer for half an hour.
- Now add the meatballs to the sauce, i prefer unbaked because it's less fat and the balls will be softer. Let it cook slowly for about 2 hours, untill the sauce thickens.
- When the sauce is done, cook spaghetti al dente.
- Put the spaghetti on a plate, then the mozzarella and the sauce. Most people serve it with Parmigiano or Pecorino, but believe, the softness of the mozzarella is delicious in the sauce. Serve with focaccia.