Recipe by mspie
Good! From Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. Calculated nutrition info per serving: 187 calories, 6 grams fa, 2 grams saturated fat, 11.3 milligrams cholesterol, 2 grams sugar, 297 milligrams sodium, 19 grams carbohydrate, 3.5 grams dietary fiber, 2 grams sugar, 7.2 grams protein.
Top Review by Chef shapeweaver �
This was made on 10/21/08 for mine and SO's dinner.I did make a few changes to the recipe, but I don't think that affected the final outcome.The changes that were made are as follows,I cut the meat into bite-sized pieces then seasoned and browned the meat.The onions were cooked with the meat to give the meat a bit more flavor.( left out celery, we don't eat it )All I had were canned stewed tomatoes, so I drained the juice and set the tomatoes aside. To the remaining juice, enough water was added to equal 4 cups.For the frozen veggies I used leftovers which had come from previous meals.I let that come to a boil to heat them through.Then reduced the heat, and added the tomatoes.After adding the flour and water, I let it simmer for a bit.If this is made again I'm going to brown the meat in the flour, instead of adding it at the end. Because I thought, it would have a less "doughy" taste. My SO thought it was good "as is "and for that I'm giving this a 4* star rating. "Keep Smiling :)"
- 8 ounces cube steaks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 4 ounces tomatoes, cut up
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle steaks with garlic powder and pepper. In a large frying pan cook steaks over medium-high heat in hot oil about 3 minutes or till done, turning once. Remove steaks from pan; drain meat drippings. Cut meat into cubes; set aside.
- In the same pan apply cooking spray and then cook onion and celery over medium heat till tender. Stir in meat, the 4 cups water, frozen vegetables, bouillon granules, Worcestershire sauce, and basil. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes or till vegetables are tenderized. Stir in undrained tomatoes.
- In a covered dish shake together the 1/2 cup water and the flour; add to the frying pan. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more.