Philly Cheese Steak Soup
A creamy, cheesy soup that tastes just like a philly cheese steak.
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 3⁄4 lb cooked beef or 3/4 lb rib eye, diced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add green peppers, onion, and mushrooms and saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add flour and cook another 5 minutes stirring often. This is an important step to cook out the flour taste.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer stirring often until soup thickens.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beef consomme, salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in provolone until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
- Remove from heat and stir in roast beef.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of french bread.
- To freeze: Prepare soup as directed and allow to cool. Place in rigid freezer container. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Reheat in microwave or on stovetop,stirring to recombine the soup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
i made a few changes. Reduced butter to 1/2 a stick, watching fat and cholesterol. reduced flour to 1/2 c and used 4 cups milk (2%). used 1 cup of beef broth. And we used 1lb of thinly sliced chuck steak that I seasoned with salt and pepper, diced up and cooked in iron skillet with a little olive oil really quick which cooking all of it at the same time produced a good broth. i did not cook them dry but just until done and then added the meat and the juice from the pan. this was a nice dish on this cold night. and i have enough for the freezer for another dinner. Thanks for sharingReplies 1
I made this after reading all the great reviews, and having a craving for the sandwich. It was so bad I ended up throwing it out after one night. I followed the recipe exactly; it was thin, bland, and all together nothing like a Philly Cheesesteak. Maybe it was the cheese, I don't know. What a disappointment and a huge waste of money.Reply
see 13 more