Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Makes a great filling for steak and kidney pie. Filling freezes well for homemade ready meals.
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 lambs kidneys
- 500 g stewing beef, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, to coat the steak & kidney before cooking
- 1 cup red wine, the type you like to drink
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, Oxo
- 1⁄2 cup water, boiling
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, too thicken at the end of cooking
- Switch your crock pot/slow cooker on to warm-up.
- Peel and slice the carrots, onions and garlic.
- Place vegetables in the bottom of the crock pot/slow cooker, replace lid while you work on the meat.
- Remove skin from the kidneys if there is any. Cut into as big or small pieces that you like, set aside.
- Cut the steak into 1 inch cubes, place in a zip-lock bag with the kidneys and 1/4 cup of all purpose flour, close the bag leaving some air in it and shake well to coat the meat. Remove meat from the bag and place on top of the vegetables in the crock pot/slow cooker. Replace lid.
- In a jug place the 1 cup of wine, 1/2 cup of boiling water, 2 oxo cubes, 1 tbsp tomato puree, soy sauce and mix well. Pour over the ingredients in the crock pot/slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chili flakes and rosemary on top of stew. Add as much black pepper as you like.
- Cook on low all day or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
- I have not added salt because of the stock cubes & soy sauce, but you can if liked.
- When cooked. Check that the stew is as thick as you like it. If not mix the 2 tsp of cornflour with 2 tsp cold water. Turn the crock pot/slow cooker to high and stir in the cornflour, a little at a time, stirring and checking that it is as thick as you want the stew to be. You don't need to add all the cornflour if it's how you want the stew.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli or any vegetables you like.
- Note: You might like to add frozen peas in the last 5 minutes.
Winter warming, comfort food like my mother used to make, absolutely loved it
Amazing steak and kidney pie filler too, this one. I liked the chilli but next time I think I'll leave that out - otherwise perfect. Great tip on the flour and meat - I ended up with melt in your mouth steak chunks for my pie!