Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
An amazing dish!
Make and share this Steak in Mushroom and Blue Cheese Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (10 ounce) steaks, your choice (can sub 4 smaller steaks)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon cognac or 1 -2 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup blue cheese
- blue cheese, crumbles (garnishment)
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet on medium-high heat. Add the steaks and sear on high heat until done to your preference, about 2-4 minutes per side for rare to medium rare.
- Let the steaks rest in a heated oven until ready to eat.
- Melt the butter in the same pan. Add the onion and saute at medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and cognac and deglaze the pan and simmer until it has thickened and reduced by about half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the blue cheese and pour over the steaks. Garnish with additional blue cheese crumbles.
This is wonderful! Love mushrooms, love bleu cheese, love steak! So how could we not love this recipe? It is amazingly delicious. I will make it again.
Made a similar sauce last weekend but this was excellent!! Even my neighbor who had a taste of last weeks thought this was much better. I did use a medium onion, cut it thing but would probably cut thicker...they cooked down too much. Definitely give this a try!!