Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my #1 favorite recipe in my whole collection. It is the first meal I made for my husband. Be sure to use green peppercorns (available packed in brine in a can or bottle). Adapted from a recipe in Jr. League of San Francisco's "San Francisco a la Carte".
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-heat cook cream, stirring fairly frequently until reduced to approximately 1 cup.
- (Be sure to use a large enough pan as this bubbles up and will overflow pan if you are not careful).
- The cream should be thick.
- When it is, set in refrigerator.
- In skillet large enough to hold the filets in a single layer, heat oil until it is hot.
- Cook steaks for 3 to 4 minutes per side and then set aside and keep warm (I put them in oven at low temperature).
- Pour off excess fat from the skillet and deglaze with brandy; set aside.
- To the cream, add bouillon cubes, lemon juice, salt and sherry.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add deglazing liquid along with the peppercorns.
- Reheat and pour a small amount over each steak.
- Serve remaining sauce in a gravy boat.
I made this last Thursday for my "Survivor Group" and it was a huge hit. This was very easy to make. My filets were about 3" thick so it took a little more time to cook to everyone's preference. I served this with a spinach salad and some rolls. A great recipe to make for special occasions, makes a great impression. I was telling my friends why this recipe was so special to my mom. (Her husband realized the night she made this for him that he knew he wanted to marry her.) Anyhow, one of my good friends turned to me and proposed. Of course I knew he just wanted to marry me for my mom's recipes, so I politely declined.
I am a bachelor, let me state this first. I am trying to be my own personal chef. With sharlene~w as my guide I might make it. I am not a huge red meat eater, but this was so easy to make and it tasted so good. My friends who I served it to did not believe I made it. I can see why her husband married her. I will definitely make this one again. I hope all the food I make is as good and as easy to make.
this was very delicious. i would give 5 stars, except i found the instructions unnecessarily complicated, as far as preparing the cream, etc. next time i will try cooking the steaks and then making the sauce in the same pan, maybe with something lighter than heavy cream to make it healthier. but as it is, it was certainly yummy, thanks!