Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 12 ounces short pastry or 12 ounces puff pastry
- 2 lbs sirloin or 2 lbs rump steak
- 1 lb beef kidney
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups beef stock (I use Campbell's)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- egg wash
- Take the fatty bit out of the kidney and dice. In a large saucepan melt butter and fry the onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper together and toss the meat in, coating them thoroughly.
- Add to the onion and brown over a moderate heat. Add stock, wine, mustard and sauce and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer 40 - 45 minutes.
- Set aside. Roll out pastry to form lids for individual dishes or one large one. Spoon filling into the dishes and cover with pastry lids.
- Bake at 190 C for Shortcrust pastry - OR - 220 C for Puff pastry.