1/3 Photos of Steak and Guinness Pie - Jamie Oliver
3 hrs 30 mins
A traditional steak and Guinness pie done by my favorite British chef, Jamie Oliver. This is made particularly easy by using puff pastry for the top pie layer! If you want to skip the puff pastry layer, you could serve this as a normal stew. The herbs listed are just a suggestion. Jamie typically leaves the amount and type up to the cooks' personal tastes. He suggests a "handful". I did change the recipe a little bit from his, due to personal preferences. Feel free to substitute out the Guinness and use beef stock instead. Pure comfort food. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef, diced
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour (heaping)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, peeled and chopped (depending on size)
- 2 -3 potatoes, peeled and chopped (depending on size)
- fresh rosemary (fresh herbs, pick leaves and add about a handful) or fresh thyme (fresh herbs, pick leaves and add about a handful) or bay leaf (fresh herbs, pick leaves and add about a handful)
- 2 cups Guinness stout (Can substitute the Guinness for beef stock) or 2 cups other dark stout beer (Can substitute the Guinness for beef stock)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted (1 sheet from a 1 lb. 2 oz. package)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1Season your beef generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the flour and toss around until all pieces are well coated.
- 2Heat olive oil, over med.-high heat, in a large casserole type pan and brown the meat. Make sure to not crowd your meat. You may do this in two batches, if necessary.
- 3Add the onion and cook for 1 more minute. Then add the carrot, celery, parsnips and fresh herbs. Cook for another 4 minutes. Add the Guinness and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir and turn down the heat to simmer. Simmer this mixture for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender. The sauce should be thick and intensely flavored. Season if needed.
- 4To make pies:.
- 5Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- 6Put your meat filling into a large, round baking dish. You could also make individual pies. Any high-sided round ovenproof bowl is fine.
- 7Roll out the pastry, dusting with flour as you go, until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out a large circle (or individual circles for smaller servings) - about 1/2 inch bigger than the top of your bowl. Brush the rim(s) of the bowl with the beaten egg, then place the pastry circle(s) on top, pushing the excess pastry down the outside of the bowl to secure. Lightly score the top of the pastry in a criss-cross manner and brush with more of the beaten egg.
- 8Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Steak and Guinness Pie - Jamie Oliver
Serving Size: 1 (1361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 934.2
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 268.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 36.3 g