Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This is a perfect stew to make when you just want to crawl back in bed for the day. I do not remember where I got this recipe but have had it a long time. You can also make this in your slow cooker!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can peas, drained (optional)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can celery soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a casserole dish or roaster pan that has a TIGHT FITTING LID. Place in oven at 275 degrees for 5 hours or until meat very tender and sauce thick and bubbly.
Perfect winter recipe. My family and friends have also used this recipe for ages. I can't remember where we got it from but have always refered to it as "Stay in Bed Stew". I'll sometimes roll the beef chunks in flour and brown, but not necessary. I always add a few bay leaves to spice things up. I do prefer the 'cream of mushroom soup' version. I usually also add chopped celery and celery leaves. Great recipe to add or substitute a variety of other vegetables you may happen to have, fresh or frozen. When opting for the "tomato soup" version, I'll sometimes add a little Worchestershire Sauce and/or a little garlic paste. You really do throw all your ingredients in an oven pot and forget about it. Can freeze it too.
Just delightful! Made this in a Paula Deen dutch oven in the oven. Simple to make and so tasty! Thanks for the great recipe!
Thank you so much for posting this! I remember eating this growing up, and asked my mom the other day for the recipe. Alas, she had lost it. SO I looked on Recipezaar, and here it was! We give this recipe 5 stars for ease, and a 4 for taste. This is literally so easy -- and no browning of the meat! The meat is so tender it falls apart. We always use tomato soup, plus one extra can and 1/2 cup water, as well as the peas.