Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this recipe years ago from a former boyfriend. So good (and so rich) I like to make it for my birthday dinner. It makes plenty so invite your friends.
- 2 9-inch deep dish pie crusts
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 sweet white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- garlic powder
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 5 eggs
- 1 pint half-and-half
- cinnamon (optional)
- cayenne (optional)
- Prick the crusts liberally with a fork, and bake in a 450°F oven 1 or 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet, remove from skillet, drain, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion in butter.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté.
- Return the sausage to pan, add the wine, garlic powder and oregano and mix together with the onion and mushrooms.
- Mix the cheeses together.
- Spread 1/4 of the cheese in the bottom of each crust.
- Spread 1/2 of the sausage mixture over the cheese in each pie.
- Cover with the rest of the cheese.
- Beat the eggs with the half and half and pour into the pies until each is filled to the rim.
- If desired sprinkle liberally with more oregano and/or cinnamon and/or cayenne.
- Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes.
- Lower the oven to 350° and bake 10-15 minutes more until a knife, inserted into the quiche, comes out clean.
We loved this quiche. The garlic and oregano was just perfect in this. It was so nice and creamy. Thanks for posting this lovely recipe.
We really enjoyed this quiche for dinner. I used Jimmy Dean hot sausage and made the recipe as directed. I made 2 quiches and put one in the freezer until this weekend when my daughter is coming over. I'm sure that it will be a hit with her as well. Thanks echo for a tasty and easy meal.
This was enjoyed by my family for a weekend brunch, I made this using small pork breakfast sausages removed from casings, I also increased the egg to six, thank you for sharing echo!...Kitten