Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Marilyn Martell's recipe from State Fair Recipes.
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packets yeast or 3 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- melted butter
- In blender, put 2 cups water, oil, honey, brown sugar and raisins.
- Liquefy that puppy.
- Proof yeast with 1/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon honey.
- Combine 1 cup flour, 2 cups whole wheat, 1 cup rye, milk and salt.
- Add liquid mixture and yeast mixture.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add rest of flour till it pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Add flour as needed.
- Grease large bowl and put dough inches.
- Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough; divide in 4 pieces.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle 2 baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Shape the 4 pieces into loafs; cover and let rise until doubled, 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake for 35 minutes or crust is browned.
- Brush with butter.
This is a wonderful bread immensely!!! We LOVED this!!!! Nice crunchy crust and chewy center and not too sweet. My bread cooked in about 25 minutes. I used 4 1/2 tsp of yeast. I will be making this often. Thanks for a wonderful recipe!!!!!!