Delicious homemade squaw bread. Recipe makes 4 loaves. Squaw bread, anyone?
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup gluten flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 -6 cups unbleached flour
- 3 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 2⁄3 cup honey (or 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup molasses for darker color)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Pour boiling water over cornmeal and oatmeal; let stand until cool.
- Add honey, butter and salt to yeast mixture. Stir in bran, then whole wheat flour.
- Add cooled cereal mixture, then add unbleached flour a cup at a time until mixture is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead 10 to 20 minutes. Let rise 2 hours, then punch out air and shape into four loaves; place loaves onto two lightly greased and floured cookie sheets.
- Let rise 1 hour, then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. When done, loaves should sound hollow when tapped. Be careful not to underbake the moist, heavy loaf.
- NOTE: Time does not include 3 hour rise time.
- Makes 4 loaves.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION