photo by danelle.fiman
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 garlic cloves
- pizza sauce, of choice
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- hoagie roll
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until slightly translucent.
- Add fennel seeds - saute for a minute.
- Add meat and brown.
- Once mixture is combined and browned - spoon mixture into hoagie bun.
- Top with desired amount of pizza sauce.
- Add sliced cheese - enough to cover all meat and edges of bun.
- Broil until cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A great sandwich, I used half hot and half sweet italian sausage. I put this mix with provalone cheese on grilled italian bread. I added additional italian seasoning to the pizza sauce, only because I like it. I served it open face. It has had rave reviews. I did make up an extra batch and froze it in single sandwich servings. Worked great!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<P>I'm a Mom of three boys: 19, 16, 13 (Josh, Jake and Jonah) and a 1 yr old golden retriever-Jethro. I work full-time as a Medicare compliance analyst for a non-profit health insurer. I love to cook - although I don't always have enough time to do as I'd like to do. I don't especially care to do the clean up though- but who does?? Food in general brings people together and makes people feel at ease. My boys love to help out in the kitchen-especially if I'm baking bread or baking sweet treats for them. If anyone were to ask them what I put in a recipe - first two ingredients they'd list would be olive oil and garlic -- (well not for the sweet stuff..at least)! I'm constantly browsing to see how I can alter/influence my family's eating - as well as trying to get it on the table quickly! My boys are all hockey players - so I spend a lot of time at the ice arena. When I have time of my own..I try to get on the golf course or read cookbooks.</P>