Prep1 hr 15 mins
Delicious homemade squaw bread. Recipe makes 4 loaves. Squaw bread, anyone?
Make and share this Squaw Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Pour boiling water over cornmeal and oatmeal; let stand until cool.
- Add honey, butter and salt to yeast mixture. Stir in bran, then whole wheat flour.
- Add cooled cereal mixture, then add unbleached flour a cup at a time until mixture is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead 10 to 20 minutes. Let rise 2 hours, then punch out air and shape into four loaves; place loaves onto two lightly greased and floured cookie sheets.
- Let rise 1 hour, then bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. When done, loaves should sound hollow when tapped. Be careful not to underbake the moist, heavy loaf.
- NOTE: Time does not include 3 hour rise time.
- Makes 4 loaves.
While this is a good bread, it really is just a standard tasting multi-grain bread. Squaw bread, as I know it growing up in California, is a much darker, sweeter, richer-tasting bread. This doesn't taste like squaw bread that I've ever known.
Delicious! I halved the ingredients and made 2 round loaves of bread. This was easy to make with lots of healthy ingredients. It also makes great toast. My family loved it, thank you for sharing.