Recipe by wildheart
Great alternative to pumpkin, and a wonderful way to use up leftover squash.
Top Review by SaffronMeSilly
I was really impressed with this recipe. I had never heard of squash pie or thought of substituting squash for pumpkin in one of my all time favorite pies. I am over flowing with squash and some of it was starting to go soft, this recipe was a great way to use it. It tasted amazing hot and I'm looking forward to trying it cold for lunch. I used two small, two large (not all of which was usable), and 1 medium squash. Afther throwing them in the food processor, that made about 1 1/2 cups.
- 1 cup cooked mashed squash (any yellow or orange)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 9" pie pan with pie crust.
- Mix all of the listed ingredients, and beat well.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 300 and bake until pie is done.
- (Stick a knife down in the middle of the pie, if it pulls out clean, it's done).
- This will take roughly another 45 minutes.