Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great way to put all the extra squash and zucchini from your summer garden to good use before it goes to waste. These can be frozen and reheated later. They're great in sandwiches, dipped in your favorite sauce, or by themselves. If you're looking for a healthier recipe, omit the cheese and add some nuts, grain, or extra fresh veggies (e.g. broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, etc.).
- 2 cups yellow squash or 2 cups zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cheese (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, combine squash or zucchini, onion, spinach, cheese, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, and flour. Mix well.
- In a skillet, heat ½-inch oil over medium-high heat.
- Drop batter by table spoons into oil.
- Cook about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain fritters on paper towels.