Recipe by Kim Hardwick
My grandmother's recipe,--it's the best.
Top Review by Grimm's Restaurant Tales
Kim, this is a great squash casserole! I am used to the stuff you get at Black eyed pea or Luby's. I thought cheese would take away from the clean tasty beauty of squash but I loved it and my little bro did too. I sauteed the squash and onions and halved the recipe and it still came out great. I might even try making this for myself one night as a main dish with a salad.-thnx sarah
- 1 quart cooked squash
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 lb grated cheese
- 2 -3 eggs
- 12 saltines, mashed
Directions See How It's Made
- Place about 6-7 cups of water in a medium pot (make sure it more then covers the squash). Add squash after chopping into 1/2-inch circles. Add chopped onions to same pot. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of margarine. Boil until completely cooked "really well".
- Drain squash after done cooking.
- Add squash and onions to casserole dish.
- Add remaining margarine. Mix well until margarine is melted.
- Add beaten eggs and mix well into squash.
- Add 1/2 of the cheese into squash and mix well.
- Add 1/3 of saltines into squash mix well.
- Sprinkle on top the remaining cheese and saltines.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-45 minutes until cheese melts completely.