Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We have new neighbours who moved in recently. Their dog is supposedly an English sheepdog - I say "supposedly" because he strikes me as a bit of a wimp and I don't think he could chase a sheep if his life depended on it! In any case, his humans apparently cook this stuff for their "precious" little doggie all the time and, though I say so myself, it's pretty darned good. The number of servings in this recipe may vary in direct proportion to your belly size.
- Place the rice in a rice cooker and add 6 cups of boiling water and cook.
- Slowly cook the diced onion with the garlic and lamb.
- Add the broccoli and carrots for a few minutes.
- When everything is cooked, mix everything together (again, do NOT use your paws – you might easily burn them) and stir in the olive oil.
- At serving time, top with avocado and slap on a fried or poached egg.
Well, I decided to actually try it (on my family, not my dog) and it was pretty good. It wasn't much like a stew though because there wasn't enough liquid for that. I made up the amount of rice it called for but only used about half because there was so much in proportion. I could definately see a dog liking this stuff too.
There are garlic supplements and dog biscuits containing garlic widely available. My vet has always suggested garlic in homemade dog food to help repel fleas.
Onions and garlic contain thiosulfate. Usually about, 500 to 600 grams can lead to problems. It can cause anemia in cats and dogs. Onions is the worst of the two.