Recipe by Keith A. Janssen
This is my mothers recipe with little variation, it's stand-up spoon thick with vegetables and potatoes. Because I cook in quantity, It is made for 120 portions. This is a excellent soup, for a large group. Plus it is very eye apealing.
- 14 lbs split peas
- 6 gallons water
- 12 ounces ham soup base
- 3 ounces chicken base
- 7 lbs diced ham
- 2 bunches celery, diced
- 3 lbs onions, diced
- 7 lbs carrots, diced
- 6 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons garlic granules
- 4 tablespoons sodium-free seasoning
- 3 tablespoons season salt
- 1⁄2 cup parsley flakes or 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lbs bacon, diced and browned (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- -Rinsesplit peas in water.
- -Addboth ham, and chicken base to water and simmer-Add split peas and simmer till cooked.
- Stirring constantly.
- -Peeland dice carrots, celery, and onions.
- -Mincegarlic, or purchase it in the jar already minced.
- -Peeland dice potatoes and keep covered with water until needed.
- -Whenpeas are cooked and well blended, add seasonings, carrots, celery, onions, diced ham and potatoes.
- (Bacon if desired).
- -Simmeruntil vegetables are tender.
- 1 hour.
- Stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
- -Adjustseasoning if desired, and enjoy with crackers.