Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This goes well with the Rum Butter Cream frosting recipe that I also posted.. hence the "Spirited" name... Hope you enjoy it!!
- 2 1⁄3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease two 8" round layer-cake pans; dust lightly with flour; tap out excess.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon onto wax paper.
- Stir buttermilk into mashed bananas in a small bowl.
- Beat butter, sugar, and eggs in a large bowl with electric mixer at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Finish mixing cake by hand.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with banana-milk mixture, beating after each addition until butter is smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoons vanilla and the 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.
- Pour cake into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; loosen around edges with a knife; turn cakes out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost with Rum Butter Cream Frosting. *optional*.