Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I have been experimenting with different types of salads and dressings and have developed this very tasty combination of greens and dressing.
Top Review by Sue's Kitchen
Absolutely delicious salad dressing!!! Certainly warrants more than 5 stars. Used it tossed with baby spinach, arranged mandarine sections on top and scattered some sunflower seeds. Yummy, thanks for sharing.
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained
- 2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/8 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, trimmed, washed, remove stems and discard (about 10 ounces)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn into bite size pieces
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 4 tablespoons six-year-old balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- SALAD - Drain oranges, place into a bowl and set aside.
- Cube apples and place in a bowl.
- Pour lemon juice over; mix well to coat to prevent from turning brown and let marinate for about 1 hour or longer.
- Before using apples, drain any excess lemon juice.
- Prepare spinach and Romaine lettuce; dry on paper towels, and add to a large bowl.
- Add ice cubes and let chill for at least 1/2 hour to crisp.
- DRESSING - In a glass jar with lid, add orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, poppy seeds, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper; shake well to blend.
- TO SERVE - Remove ice from the greens and discard; drain any water.
- Add apples and pine nuts and toss to mix well.
- Add dressing mixture and toss to coat well.
- Arrange spinach on individual salad plates and top with 3 or 4 Mandarin orange segments.
- This dressing is also very good with young, mixed greens.