Spinach Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 - 1 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 bunches spinach (I use a 10oz bag)
- Note for Dressing: This makes a lot, I usually only use about half.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate overnight. Very important!
- Toss salad ingredients together and mix in dressing just before serving.
Join The Conversation
Dh commented that I can make this salad "any day or *every* day" if I want . . . he liked it that much! Made it for a special dinner party and the guests (old and young) loved it too. The key is that all the flavors are so distinct and yet meld perfectly. Left out the red onion. Made the dressing in the morning and threw the rest together just prior to dinner. We have since made it again and added cooked chicken breast to it as a one-bowl salad meal. Note - I do only use 1/3 of the dressing ingredients to make a batch of the dressing and find that it covers an entire salad sufficiently for our tastes (ie approx. 1/2 c. oil, 1/4 c. vinnegar, etc.)