1 hr 39 mins
1 hr 4 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: I got the idea for this recipe from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I have always wanted to make quiche, but was daunted by the need to make a proper crust. The Simply Pototoes Shredded Hash Browns seemed to me an ideal way to get around this problem, and makes a delicious and easy to prepare, foolproof crust. The crust complements and enhances the flavors of the spinach and quiche custard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped (can substitute a package of frozen)
- 4 green onions, white part, thinly sliced. Reserve the green ends for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 pieces mastic
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 Farenheit. While the oven is heating,.
- 2Make the spinach filling.
- 3Trim and carefully wash the spinach to remove all dirt and spin dry in a salad spinner before chopping. In a skillet over medium high heat the olive oil and add the garlic, onion and ginger. When the oil is perfumed, about 30 seconds, add the chopped spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir well to coat spinach with oil and prevent the aromatics from sticking to bottom of pan. Cover and steam until the spinach is cooked down, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove the lid and lower heat. Let the liquid evaporate, stirring to prevent burning. Turn out into a bowl and set aside.
- 4Make the Crust.
- 5Shred the carrot. In a saucepan on low heat just melt the butter or ghee. In a small bowl whisk the egg with the salt and mix in the butter/ghee. In a bowl combine the carrot and pototoes and mix thoroughly. Add the egg mixture. Toss and stir until the vegetables are evenly coated. Press the potato/carrot mixture into the bottom and sides of an 8 inch lightly oiled springform pan. Cover the edge of the crust with foil to prevent burning. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350°F For 15 minutes.
- 6Make the Custard.
- 7While the crust is cooking, in a mortar and pestle grind the mastic with the 1/4 tsp salt. Lightly whisk the eggs and combine with the half and half and salt/mastic mixture. Whisk until smooth.
- 8Assemble the Quiche.
- 9Line the bottom of the hot crust with the spinach. Pour the custard over all. Garnish top with 1 tbsp of finley chopped onion greens. Place in the oven on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 10Run a knife around the outside to loosen; remove sides of springform pan.
- 11Cut in wedges. Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach Quiche With Shredded Hash Brown Crust
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.8
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 292.5 mg
- Sodium 812.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: