Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I don't like nuts in my pesto and I like spinach better than basil so I came up with this fast pesto recipe and I love it. I never measure but I tried to put it into measurments. It's best not to warm the Pesto mixture as it doesn't need it.
- 2 cups spinach (baby spinach or regular spinach)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 -2 garlic clove (pressed)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese (grated)
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato (optional add as much as you like) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb pasta (thin spagetti, spagetti or Angel Hair pasta)
- In the food processor put in the spinach,lemon zest, lemon juice,garlic,olive oil,salt,pepper and cheese (sundried tomatoes). Process til spinach is small and everything is well combined.
- Meanwhile boil pasta til Al Dente.
- Pour Pesto mixture into large Pasta bowl and toss in hot pasta to coat and 1 or 2 tbs of pasta water if needed.
- Serve immediately with chicken or eat alone.
I really liked this recipe. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. DH thoought it seemd to be missing something. He doesn't care for the nuts in regular pesto, so he looking forward to trying this recipe. I think next time I'll try it with shrimp or chicken. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne.
5 stars! No, 6 stars! Me and my DH loved this pesto. The flavour was wonderful and what a great way to use spinach. I made some minor changes in amounts - a lot more spinach, a bit less oil and a bit less lemon juice. Perfect for us. I didn't use it for pasta but spread it on toasted french bread slices as an appetizer. Next time I will add a little fresh basil if I have it but this pesto is delicious as is. Thank you!