Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Kugels are so easy to make and there are so many varieties. This is from Ida Loverde, "From Our Jersey Shore Kitchens",(1982). It is Kosher as a dairy dish since it has sour cream and butter.
- 1⁄2 lb egg noodles, cooked, drained
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 1⁄4 lb butter, melted
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed, chopped, well drained
- 1 (2 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Mix all of the above ingredients by hand to blend and combine.
- Put in greased casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
This is my old, standby, fantastic Spinach Kugel recipe. I used to double it and bake it in a 13 x 9 pan for 1 hour. I made it for Thanksgiving dinner this year where I was the only Jewish person there and no one except DH had ever had kugel before. It was a big hit. Rich, savory and very flavorful. Easy to make and freezes well. Thanks for my missing recipe!!!!
I teach a cooking class to high schoolers. Some loved it, and a few turned their noses up at it. My husband and I, and all the staff at the school, loved it. Nice variation for a kugel!