2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This looks so delicious, and you can lie to yourself and say it is healthy because it has spinach in it. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lbs spinach, finely chopped
- 21 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces dried cannelloni tubes
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Cover the pan and steam the spinach for 1-2 minutes, or until wilted. Allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a colander and squeeze to remove the moisture.
- 2Mix the spinach with the ricotta, beaten eggs and a pinch of nutmeg. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Preheat the oven to 350* and grease a large ovenproof dish.
- 3To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion over low heat for 5 minutes, or until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato, wine, tomato paste, sugar and basil. Brin to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 4Spread a third of the tomato sauce in the dish. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the spinach mixture into each cannelloni tube and arrange neatly in the dish. Spoon the remaining tomato sauce over the top and sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the cannelloni is tender and the top is crisp and golden brown.
- 5Note: This recipe can be made using fresh lasagne sheets instead of the dried cannelloni tubes. Cut the lasagne sheets into small rectangles, place the filling on the edge and roll up tightly. Place the filled tubes seam-side-down in the baking dish and cook as cannelloni tubes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.7
- Calories from Fat 406
- Total Fat 45.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 259.6 mg
- Sodium 1189.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 47.2 g