Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spinach and Egg Sandwiche Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 4 English muffins, split
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallots or 1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb sliced Canadian bacon, cut into thin strips
- 8 cups Baby Spinach or 8 ounces Baby Spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the tomatoes cut-side up on one half of a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Broil the tomatoes until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Remove from the broiler. Arrange the English muffins on the other half of the baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a bowl; keep warm. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and fry until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Top the tomatoes with the cheese. Return the tomatoes and English muffins to the broiler; broil until the cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide the English muffins among plates, then top each with some of the spinach mixture and a fried egg. Serve with the broiled tomatoes.