Recipe by The Giggle Box
A yummy vegetarian dish my MIL made for us one night. My hubby enjoyed this immensely and asked for the recipe. She got it from The Outer Banks the Bountiful cookbook. The recipe claims to be enough for 6 side servings, but my MIL says that it is enough for 2 to share for a main meal. She also says that she has not had any success doubling this recipe.
Top Review by Aioli_Queen
I grabbed this recipe as one for my husband to try his hand with and he really enjoyed the process. He's contributing to our weekly meals and this made his experience fun and sucessful! Thanks Elmo for a recipe that Hubby said he wanted to "make again". The two changes we made (because of what was in the fridge) was to use frozen spinach, which worked fine, and feta instead of mozzarella which added a nice tang to the smooth flavor of the beans.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can small white beans or 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetarian chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, in tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add drained beans, chicken broth, tomatoes with juice, and spices.
- Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Add spinach a cup at a time, adding more as the spinach wilts.
- Cover with cheese and place skillet under a broiler until cheese is bubbly and a little browned.