Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
the bulgur adds an extra meaty texture to this vegeterian chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 large chilies, seeded, minced (about 4 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, red bell pepper, and jalapeños and sauté until onion and carrots are almost tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, 3 cups water, beans, bulgur, white wine vinegar, garlic, and spices.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, until bulgur is tender and mixture thickens, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle chili into bowls and serve.