Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This amazing soup is from the highly acclaimed Saffron restaurant in Arrowtown, NZ. It is absolutely delicious with naan!! Notes: The recipe calls for Star Anise, however I usually substitute fennel seeds.. I also use coconut oil instead of peanut and 3 cans of tomatoes if I don't have fresh. If you can't find Palm sugar, try brown sugar. Enjoy! (^^)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 star anise or 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 10 g fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- palm sugar, to taste
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 kg very ripe tomato
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 50 g red lentils
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Slow roast the dry spices in a frypan. Will be very aromatic! Pound in a mortar. (I usually don't bother as I enjoy the taste explosion when you crunch down on a seed!).
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then gently fry the garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add the spices and fry another couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the lentils and fish sauce) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 30mins.
- Blend quickly to break up the tomatoes.
- Add the lentils & simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly until the lentils are cooked. Add fish sauce & serve.