Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Warms you up on a cold winter's night. From the local paper.
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, such as boston butt
- all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 6 -8 green onions, cut into l inch pieces, keeping white part and green tops separate
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks
- Cut pork into l inch cubes and coat with about 3 Tbsp flour.
- Brown pork thoroughly in hot oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Stir in soy sauce, sherry, garlic, ginger, red pepper, fennel, white parts of green onions, and 1 1/2 cups water.
- Cover pan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover and simmer 30 minutes longer, or until pork and carrots are tender.
- Meanwhile, blend 1/4 cup water and 2 Tbsp flour.
- Set aside.
- Stir green onion tops into pork mixture and simmer 1 minute.
- Add flour-water mixture and bring to boil.
- Cook and stir until mixture is slightly thichened.
- Serve over rice or noodles.