Recipe by Lizzie in NZ
A lovely, tender and extremely tasty casserole. This can also be thrown into the crockpot for 8 hours on low and comes out just as good. Can't remember where the recipe originated from. It was one I tried at a potluck dinner and the host had it scribbled on a bit of paper. I wish I had time to go through every steak recipe on this site to make sure its not here, but I haven't. NOTE: The preparation time includes marinating.
- 2 lbs stewing beef (sliced into slithers rather than cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce (aka ketchup)
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cut up steak into a casserole dish.
- Blend the following ingredients in a bowl or jug and pour sauce over meat.
- Marinate for at least 2 hours. This step is unnecessary if using the crockpot.
- Bake at 160 C for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Thicken with cornflour and water if necessary and put back in oven for 10-15 minutes.