Recipe by -Sylvie-
I adapted this from 'The Book of Slow Cooking' by Anne Sheasby, which I borrowed from the local library. As I had to return it before I had a chance to try this soup, I thought I'd post it here to share and for future use. If you make it before me, please let me know how it turned out. If you leave out the bacon this is vegetarian.
Top Review by Loves2Cook!
My husband and I really like this soup. I only used a 1/4 tsp of chili powder, as our daughter doesn't like things that are too spicy. Even with that small amount, the soup still has a kick. There was some nice fond left in the bottom of the skillet after I browned the veggies, so I poured in the vegetable stock to de-glaze the pan. The bacon garnish was also a big hit. Everything tastes better with bacon!
- 2 butternut squash (about 2 1/2lb total weight) or 2 pumpkin, seeds removed, chopped finely (about 2 1/2lb total weight)
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 onions, sliced fine
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock, hot
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a pan and saute onions, garlic and celery for 5 minutes. Add the butternut squash and all the spices and saute for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer to crock pot, add stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Carefully transfer to a blender, or using a stick blender, puree until smooth.
- Add cream, cover and heat for another 30-60 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your boiler to high and grill the bacon strips until crisp, turning over once.
- Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Stir the cilantro into the soup and divide into serving bowls.
- Crumble the bacon and sprinkle over the top.
- Serve immediately.