Recipe by Chef likestocook
I found this recipe in a magazine while I was waiting at the hospital. I have made it for company and it is always a hit. You need an iron skillet and turning the shrimp is easier if you skewer them. It was the first time that I had purchased saffron so we called the sauce "gold sauce". It is great served with fried rice. Be sure to have on your exhaust fan as it does create some smoke, but the taste is well worth it.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed through a press
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine large pinch of saffron and water in bowl.
- Stand 2 minutes.
- Whisk in mayonnaise, tomato paste, garlic and lemon juice.
- Microwave butter in pie plate for 1 minute or until melted.
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning on waxed paper.
- Heat a 10-inch iron skillet over medium high heat until hot.
- Dip 1 side of shrimp in butter and then seasoning.
- Cook 1/2 of shrimp in hot skillet season side down for 2 minutes.
- Turn and cook 1 -2 minutes more.
- Serve with sauce.